Tuesday, June 17, 2008

In The Land of The Midnight Sun

Well I've made it to Fairbanks and am adjusting to both the time change and the fact it never really gets dark. I arrived ahead of the other folks coming up for the institute I'm at so this morning is when the work starts. I did have a chance to get out and do a bit of hiking yesterday and got to see some good stuff. Savannah sparrows, Orange-crowned warblers and juncos on territory, gadwalls and Northern Shovelers on a local lake and a flycatcher that is either an Alder or a Hammond's. I really feel like a newbie when it comes to Alaskan birds.

The thing I'm really looking forward to is our trip to Prince William Sound and then the week after the institute I'm going to play on the Kenai Penninsula. I'll start posting photos soon now that I'm back on line. Later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You will love the Kenai. I was at the Kachemak Bay Shorebird Festival last year. Small but excellent. Make sure to take a boat out to see the Red-faced Cormorants and both puffins.