Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Fall Migration is Just Around the Corner

I've been noticing birds in my backyard that I haven't seen regularly this summer. The Black-capped Chickadees, Downy Woodpeckers and White-breasted Nuthatches are always visiting but now I'm seeing new species.
This Rose Breasted Grosbeak likes to hang out and fill up on sunflower seeds. He (juvenile?) has been a regular for over a week now.
I also had a Yellow Warbler hopping around in my apple tree this morning looking for a meal. and a drink from the birdbath. It's nice to have the chance to let the birds come to me instead of having to go out and chase them all over. The temps are just too high for that kind of exertion.

Later in the week it should cool down and then I'll head out to see if any shorebirds are stopping over. Banding probably won't start in a big way for a couple of more weeks.

Good Birding!

No comments: