Monday, August 11, 2008

Vegetation Management

Hoping to get in a little banding yesterday I headed out to my station and found that the last 2 months have allowed the vegetation in the area to run rampant. This is something that is expected but boy did I spend a lot of time clearing those lanes again (and boy am I sore today!). Part of a good banding program is the ability to manage the vegetation so you can use consistent nets lanes. Now that I am done cutting down lots of Reed Canary Grass I'm back in business. I am excited to see what will be moving through with the weather cooling down and a small front moving through tonight bringing the chance of rain (which we need desperately). The other problem I ran into is concrete-like ground that is almost impossible to drive ground poles into. Rain would solve that too. So, that all said, it's still fun to get out and see what I can catch. We have 2 banding programs this weekend: Saturday at Carver Park Reserve near Victoria and on Sunday at Ritter Farm Park in Lakeville, MN. Come join us if you'd like!

The birds pictured in yesterday's post are (from top to bottom):
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Black and White Warbler
Wilson's Warbler
Tennessee Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Canada Warbler
Golden-winged Warbler

Thanks for the question!

No comments: