Saturday, May 10, 2008

Spring Progresses

A Butterbutt with attitude!



I finally had a chance to get out to my school and do some banding without the weather or personal obligations getting in the way. The forecast was for rain around noon so I had nets open before 8 am hoping to be done before I got wet. I checked the radar prior to going to band and it looked like it would be a good morning. Little did I realize what had arrived in the last day or two. As usually happens, most of the fun stuff was up in the tree tops. What I caught was pretty typical. I had 11 individuals (10 new and one re-trapped Chickadee)

Here's one of the female Yellow-rumped Warblers in the net.


The list of species caught includes:
Black-capped Chickadee
House Wren
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Swamp Sparrow
Song Sparrow
American Goldfinch

New species I saw (not in my nets unfortunately) were:
Great-crested Flycatcher
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Ovenbird
Blue-headed Vireo

The next 2-3 weeks should be the height of spring migration in my area so I hope to be quite busy out and about. The city of Lakeville is having a new bird fest at Ritter Farm Park on Sunday, May 19th if anyone in the area is interested. Mark and I will be banding from 9 am until 1 pm that day. Hope for good weather!

2 comments:

MarkN said...

Just to alleviate any confusion, Lakeville's bird festival is Sunday May 18. Roger and I will be banding from 9AM to 1PM (unless weather dictates otherwise, in which case we will be tap-dancing for 4 hours...).

Anonymous said...

Keep those nets open . . . you just might catch a few of those warblers!