Tuesday, April 1, 2008

This is no April Fools Joke!

I spent the better part of yesterday looking out my classroom window watching it snow like mad. We got 7+ inches of very wet and heavy snow and yesterday the activity outside pretty much ground to a halt. This morning does hold the promise of a sunny (and hopefully warm) day so we're counting on the snow not lasting. I am philosophically opposed to shoveling in April so I'm going to let the sun do it's thing (I'm into solar power).

The snow has not kept the robins and cardinals from singing constantly. Reports from south of here the last few days indicated that birds were on the move with large flocks of Tundra Swans being reported moving north. Short jaunts out and about last weekend found lots of waterfowl around but the first big influx of songbirds hasn't occurred yet.

As soon as the ground thaws enough to put poles in the ground, banding season will start and I CAN'T WAIT..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When do the song birds come back?

RuthieJ said...

I'm finally starting to see & hear quite a few song sparrows here in SE MN. Fortunately we missed out on most of the April Fools Day snowfall and I'm looking forward to 50's this weekend--that should make birdwatching pretty pleasant.

Unknown said...

Its now a mix of clumps of snow on the ground right next to quicksand. Well, not sand so much but one can sink about two inches into ground that appeared so simply be damp. Mother Nature is such the prankster. As if the spring/snow/spring/snow teasing wasn't enough...

Royce, they are already starting. Robins have been performing their sunrise serenade here for a week or two already, and I'm seeing a bunch of sparrows playing with the juncos. I even saw a half dozen butterflies at the river. Spring is finally here. That means we'll probably get snow this weekend.