Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Brewster's Warbler

 Hybrid birds, while unusual, are more common than most people think. Some bird groups show more hybridization than others. This would include ducks and gulls for example. There are well known hybrids from songbirds too. This bird is a “Brewster’s” Warbler, a cross between a Golden-winged Warbler and a Blue-winged Warbler. This pairing also produces a hybrid called a “Lawrence’s” Warbler.

Because Minnesota has a large breeding population of both parent species finding hybrids does occur regularly but catching and banding one is pretty rare. At my first glance of the bird when I pulled it out of the bird bag it gave me pause and I wasn’t sure exactly what I was looking at. But a quick consultation with a field guide confirmed our suspicions. 

It is a really cool looking bird and because I had it in the hand I was able to take some time to see all the unusual plumage on the bird. I took a few pictures and whenever I  have a chance I pull them up and try to stump someone as to identification.


Here are views of the bird from a couple of different angles.





No comments: