Sunday, May 20, 2018

Another Busy Day At The Banding Table

As hoped for, today turned out to be another great day for banding. Lots of birds around and good weather. Early in the day the wind was a worry but as the morning went on the winds calmed.

Our public program had 29 visitors and they all had a chance to see some fun birds up close.

Today's list:

Trail's Flycatcher (Willow and Alder combined)
American Redstart
Tennessee Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Canada Warbler
American Goldfinch
Black-capped Chickadee
Mourning Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Song Sparrow
Veery
Downy Woodpecker
Gray Catbird
Brown headed Cowbird
Baltimore Oriole
Red-winged Blackbird
American Robin

Total individuals = 31

What I think are the 2 best birds of the day are:
  3 Canada Warblers today which, for me, is my best one day total. We had this boldly marked male...
...and this less boldly marked female. Just a real joy to handle.
And we caught this very pretty Veery. This is actually the very first Veery I've had a chance to band. A very exciting weekend overall with over 60 birds banded. I plan to take my Field Ornithology class back to today's banding site to see if I can add to the lucky streak I have going.

Keep looking up!


No comments: