Sunday, October 9, 2016

Cold October Morning Banding

We're moving into the end of the big migration of songbirds going south. This time of the year we see the late warblers like Yellow-rumped Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler and Palm Warbler. As warbler numbers continue to decline the sparrows are moving into the region.

I spent a cold morning hoping to catch all the birds I was seeing in the goldenrod fields. The banding wasn't hectic but I had plenty of time to enjoy the scenery.
This is my little "office" that is completely portable and often overloaded. When I set up the field was covered with frost and a heavy fog hung over the hill.
I really enjoy the chance to just watch the world around me. It really helps when I'm not catching many birds. Some days though the birds are cooperative.
Lots of Bluebirds around but all of them above the nets.
I know lots of people think sparrows are just "little brown jobs" but I think our native species are some of the prettiest birds around.

All fall days should be as nice as today!


No comments: