Monday, April 12, 2010

Early April Banding


Sunday afternoon was just too nice to pass up the chance to get out to the banding station and throw up some nets to see what was around. When I got to the site it was pretty quiet but I set 3 nets anyway and sat down to enjoy the warm temps and the scenery. I only had nets up for about 2 hours but I did get 2 of these nice Eastern Phoebes, Sayornis phoebe.


I was also able to net one of the smallest birds we handle all year, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Regulus calendula. This male sported a bright red patch of feathers on his head that isn't usually seen unless you get a good close-up look at the bird. Not an easy task with a bird that hardly sits still.

If the weather stays as warm as it is now I'm not sure how that will impact both migrating birds and those that will stay here to nest. It could be an interesting breeding season.

No comments: