Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Banding

Strong winds were the order of the day but I was able to band from 7 - noon. It was quiet with only 8 birds caught. I did have a nice variety and the Indigo Bunting, Passerina cyanea, below hit one of my nets before I was even done putting it up. A second bunting bounced out and didn't come back.


I finally caught my first Song Sparrow, Melospiza melodia, of the year. This is often a species that is near the top in numbers caught at my banding station.


This female Brown-headed Cowbird, Molothrus ater, will often evoke quite a bit of emotion with some birders. Because they are nest parasites many people would like to get rid of them. It's tough to see so many around when you know their lifestyle but they are native, they are protected by law and the reason they are so successful is because HUMANS have helped them by changing the landscape so much.


I did catch another Brown Thrasher, Toxostoma rufum, but rather than him being upset he seems to be laughing at me. I'm pretty used to that....

2 comments:

Rick Wright said...

Thanks for the sane comments on B-h Cowbirds.
rick

cindyzlogic said...

Hey Birdnerd! liked your photos...we have been getting Indigo Buntings at our feeder! Love them! We have a pair of Thrashers using our yard for foraging, too : )