Monday, June 23, 2008

Birds on the Bay


Mew Gulls lined up on a roof

We took a walk down to the docks last night to get a feel for the town and to stretch a bit after dinner. The halibut boats were in and the fish were being filleted right there. The best part was that the carcasses were attracting some good birds in so I have added to my Alaska list:

Glaucous-winged Gull
Black-legged Kittiwake
Arctic Tern

One of the folks I'm with thinks he spotted some sort of jaeger and there were a couple of sea otters out in the harbor. Tomorrow is an 11 hour tour of Prince William Sound and I hope to add lots more then. Our main goal is to see the site of the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill. The weather is cooperating so far but you never know.

I'll leave you with one more photo from the trip yesterday -


Horsetail Falls along the road to Valdez

No comments: