Sunday, April 6, 2008

A Stalled Weather Front

There is a weather boundary sitting across the state of Minnesota today and it is bringing snow to the north and rain to the south. LOTS of rain. All day. Gray, wet, bleak. And then I hear what I think is the first White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) of the year and it's not quite so bleak.

The radar again looks like there is movement in the southern part of the country. I think the birds that traveled into Minnesota last night might have been stalled by this cold front moving in from the north. Anyone south of that boundary should have seen a change this morning (that's my story and I'm sticking to it...).

For all those folks who would like a good intro to radar ornithology, take a look at this site.

Here's hoping your skies are clear tomorrow.

1 comment:

RuthieJ said...

Does this explain the huge numbers of juncos I'm seeing in my yard this afternoon? I haven't had this many since January.