Saturday, April 5, 2008

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!

Today was all I hoped it would be except it was too short. I was able to get out and take some leisurely looks at good birds that are around right now. Ducks are still hanging around in good numbers and I was able to try my hand at getting some photos through my spotting scope. Below are shots of a male and a female Northern Shoveler Anas clypeata:


This species was one of the most common present today. I also got a nice look at some Blue-winged Teal Anas discors



Other birds of note were FOY (First of Year) Ruby-crowned Kinglets Regulus calendula and Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus. Along the Mississippi River there appeared to be a good movement of Bald Eagles Haliaeetus leucocephalus going north. From the reports I'm reading there are other migrants moving in which I haven't seen yet. That's the beauty of spring migration, there's always tomorrow...even if it rains.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There have been rough-legged hawks around here for a while, but on Friday I saw a group of three circling on one side of me, and a group of five a few hills over on the other side of me. Quite a few harriers too, and all of them just barely on the fringes of Menomonie. Thats getting me excited too, with more activity in a day than I'd seen in a week.