Friday, June 24, 2016

Breeding season

We're in the second half of June and just celebrated the summer solstice but in the bird world we are in the middle of nesting season. Behavior changes and young start to appear as if by magic. I was lucky enough to find a this nest on my school campus.
There are 2 young in the nest but this one seemed to be pretty greedy when a parent came in.

While I was watching this nest I noticed a lot of commotion just to my left. Sure enough, another nest! This woods is a real nursery right now.
Parents were very busy feeding young and doing nest maintenance. They pretty much ignored me while I sat there. These babies were very quiet so I imagine they are a bit younger than the woodpecker young.

It's hard to believe but in just a couple of weeks some of our birds will begin their southward journey and their summer will be over. They must not read calendars.

No comments: