Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Texas Active This Morning

A look at radar this morning shows a pretty good movement of birds into Texas but no where else. The image below shows Texas just around sunrise.
As the sun gets higher, the birds begin to land for the day. Notice the line of weather in the upper right hand corner of this image. That is a cold front moving down from the north. There was no appreciable movement anywhere behind this front so I don't think much will change as far as migrants in the midwest.
Some of the strong southerly winds we experienced in the last couple of weeks brought the surprise of a Brown Pelican to Minnesota. This is only the 3rd state record for this species and it hung out around the city of Red Wing on the Mississippi River for about a week. The last sightings of the bird (assuming we only had one Brown Pelican) were as it continued to move north and it was last observed just north of the Twin Cities.

As winds shift, the weather is forecast to bring a warming trend so all those birds in the south will hopefully show up in Minnesota by the weekend when I have a chance to get out.

4 comments:

The Broadstairs Birder said...

Found your blog via the fatbirders top 1000 sites and enjoyed the read. I have added you to my list of blogs to follow. With all best wishes from the u.k. Phil.

cindyzlogic said...

Yahhh! on the movement! I'm waiting for the Orioles and Ruby-throated Hummers :)

J.J. Killins said...

Hi! I just stumbled on your blog after searching for something my son and I saw this morning. We can't figure out what it was so we're hoping you can help! I told him there were two deer ahead and then they poked up their heads and I saw they were birds! Same tawny brown as deer, no special markings like a turkey, but easily that large. Any idea?

BonnieG said...

I came across your blog as I was looking up information about red bellied woodpeckers. I realized yesterday we have a pair preparing to nest in a dead tree in our backyard. I also live in the Twin Cities, Eagan to be specific. I am wondering where it is you go to see all the interesting birds you mentioned seeing on your blog.