Monday, April 19, 2010

A Quiet Sunday Morning


After having so much fun on Saturday, I decided to head over to my local banding site and see what might be around. Amber B. came out to lend a hand. It wasn't as "birdy" as I had hoped but there was enough to keep me interested. The catch of the day was 2 Hermit Thrushes, Catharus guttatus.


The contrast of the tail to the back is how most people identify this species but also notice the relatively plain face and not much of an eye ring. Both the thrushes I caught were second year birds. It's good to see they survived their journeys so far.



As I set up my banding table I had an American Robin just giving me the business for no apparent reason until Amber and I were sitting quietly and saw a female sneak onto a nest that was almost right above us. We would have never seen her if she hadn't moved. Can you see her in the photo above?


I've enlarged part of the photo to give a better look. This nest is right along a walking path but I'd bet money that if I took kids on a hike they would walk right past the bird and wouldn't have a clue what is right next to them. My goal is to teach the world to slow down and look up more often.

1 comment:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I sure hope The Hermit Thrushes have made their way back to up Hasty Brook by next weekend. There's nothing nicer than their song in the evening.