Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Warm Weather - Finally!

Nothing gets me more excited for a day than driving into the school parking lot where I teach and seeing my first of the year Tree Swallow sitting on a bluebird box and then having a Trumpeter Swan do a low pass over my car as I park. Today we may hit 70 degrees for the first time this spring and everyone is in a noticeably good mood.

Another first for the spring was the first dandelions in bloom yesterday at the west end of our building. They were in a little "microclimate" at the base of a west facing wall. This is the place I always see our first flowers in bloom. Native wildflowers that should be up soon include Skunk Cabbage and Bloodroot.

With the warm weather we are noticing our first appearance of insects including some early butterflies and moths. When the bugs are in the air can the warblers be far behind?

I got a nice note from Joyanne Hamilton and her class in Shageluk, Alaska so I'll pass on a quick hello. The next time the Iditarod goes through town say hello to our friend Martin Buser. He spoke at our school graduation a few years ago so we cheer him on from down here every March. I hope you are also following "Journey North", a website that tracks spring migration and blooming dates of flowers all over the lower 48.

Our next banding session is scheduled for Saturday and it sounds like the predicted rain will hold off until later in the day. I hope we get some "good" birds for some photos. Until next time, keep looking up!

No comments: