Friday, December 19, 2008

Spring Can't Be That Far Away - Is It?

With the quickly approaching holiday break from school and the need to get my act together before I'll be ready for Christmas I was outside last night getting ready to run errands when I heard something from across the street. Being pretty sure what I was hearing, I ran into the house and made my kids put on their boots and coats and come outside. Then, clear as a bell, 2 Great Horned Owls (Bubo virginianus) began to duet. How cool is that? How cool is it that I could stand there and share it with my kids? My oldest might even have the confidence to tell his friends what he heard though they often look at him funny. One of my favorite things to do with my kids and my students is to take advantage of those unexpected moments. To be able to show them things that you might not be able to find if you actually needed to find them. It is the "ah-ha" moment that I find most wonderful. I also find it pleasing that these ah-ha moments still make me appreciate the wonders of the world around me.

Tomorrow I head out to do the local Christmas Bird Count. I'm looking forward to my next "ah-ha" moment.

No comments: