Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Early December news



Again, it's been too long since I've added a post to the blog so I thought I'd take a minute and let everyone know that you should look forward to better photos on the blog from now on as I took the plunge and invested in a new camera. I do understand that good photos depend more on the person behind the camera than the camera itself, I'm still working on that....

On the bird front it is interesting to hear the reports from around the states of Minnesota and Wisconsin. The movement of White-winged Crossbills, Loxia leucoptera into the area is significant. Reports are coming from all over and it seems as though every spruce tree might hold birds. There are also increasing reports of Snowy Owls, Nyctea scandiaca as far south as Milwaukee. While these northern birds are showing up there is still a large number of waterfowl, especially Tundra Swans, Cygnus columbianus along the Mississippi around LaCrosse and Brownsville (pool 8 as it's known).

This Saturday is the annual Minnesota Ornithologists Union Paper Session at the Bell Museum at the University of Minnesota - Minneapolis campus. A day of presentations and socializing with people who are often familiar by name but not by face. If you're around check the MOU website for information.

1 comment:

Dawn Fine said...

Better photos? I have been looking at your blog and your photos are great...so better..i guess will be better than great...tee hee..
I am new to the birding world so i find your blog very informative...thanks..

Oh also..i noticed your ebird is on new york and you are in Minnesota..I just found out today you can easily change that to be your state...just go to the html code...look for where it says NY and replace it with your states abbreviation...